This is the most common form of Planning Application made and enables a house, bungalow or other structure to be built on land. There is scope for extensions and alterations to a principal dwelling, outbuildings and addition of conservatories (many of which operations do not require planning consent).

Conversions of existing properties to flats or houses in multiple occupation eg bedsits, and conversions of other existing buildings, mainly barns, to new residential uses also come under the remit of new residential development.

The most difficult forms of Planning Consent relate to land that is Green Field, i.e. never been built upon.

A new property can be built within an ‘existing settlement area’ – Local Planning Authorities provide residential settlement boundary maps for even the smallest villages/settlements – and generally any new proposed property must be in a ‘sustainable’ location, i.e. near to services eg. bus routes, schools, post offices, shops and other community facilities.

Back to Services

Contact Us